In this article /
Hot chocolate is our drink of choice this time of year because it’s rich, creamy, warm and luxurious. Not only is hot chocolate the perfect drink to pick you up when you’re feeling down, or warm you up when you’re just really cold, but it can also help when you are on your period.
Now, we aren’t saying hot chocolate is the new miracle cure but there are certain recipes that you can try that could work as a great pick me up!
So, what can hot chocolate do for you? It turns out a lot actually.
The chocolate used, and we mean real chocolate, can reduce stress, boost your mood and energy, improve your skin and reduce the pain of cramps. This is due to the essential minerals such as Magnesium and Potassium found in chocolate. At least these are the effects when you use dark chocolate in your recipes. Now some of our Divas might not like the idea of using dark chocolate, but give it a try, there is a big difference between dark chocolate on its own and when it is mixed as a hot chocolate blend with other great ingredients.
Another ingredient that you can use in hot chocolate to help with your period cramps is dairy-free milk like coconut, almond or rice milk. Most milks have a very good source of calcium and deficiency of calcium in women can lead to severe menstrual cramps. The warmth of the milk will also provide relief to your sore muscles.
Like what you’ve read so far? Try these great Dark Hot Chocolate Recipe we found for our Divas.
Dark Chocolate Hot Chocolate Recipe
- 1 cup dairy-free milk
- 1 1/2 teaspoons brown sugar, or to taste
- 2 ounces dark chocolate (85% Dark Chocolate), or to taste
- 1 tablespoon heavy whipping cream, or more to taste
- Heat milk in a saucepan over medium heat for 3 to 4 minutes, until just almost boiling.
- Add brown sugar and stir until dissolved, about 1 minute.
- Stir dark chocolate into milk until melted, 2 to 3 minutes.
- Remove saucepan from heat and stir cream and cinnamon into milk mixture.
Cinnamon Hot Chocolate Recipe
Hot chocolate is a drink that can be made hundreds of different ways, each with unique ingredients and some of those ingredients can really help a Diva when she is on her period.
Cinnamon is one such ingredient because it is a known analgesic that can be used for balancing the level of prostaglandin. Prostaglandin is a hormone which is known to cause swelling and pain in the cervix, if it is over-produced in the body. Cinnamon not only balances the hormonal level but also brings down the inflammation of muscles and offers a great taste to a hot chocolaty beverage. The aroma of cinnamon will also soothe your nerves and help you relax better despite the potential discomfort caused by your period.
Here is a great cinnamon hot chocolate recipe to keep on hand.
- 1.5L (6 cups) dairy-free milk
- 2 tsp ground cinnamon or to taste
- 200g good-quality dark cooking chocolate, coarsely chopped
- Place the milk and cinnamon in a medium saucepan and bring to a simmer over medium-low heat.
- Remove from heat and set aside for 10 minutes to develop the flavours.
- Add 80ml (1/3 cup) of the warm milk mixture and stir until a smooth paste forms.
- Remove the cinnamon sticks from the remaining milk mixture and place saucepan over low heat.
- Add the dark chocolate, and use a wire balloon whisk to stir for 5 minutes or until chocolate melts and the mixture is well combined.
- Transfer to a heatproof serving jug and pour into heatproof glasses to serve.
Mint Hot Chocolate Recipe
Another great tip is to add a bit of peppermint essence to your hot chocolate.
The aroma and flavor of peppermint is known to help keep the nerves calm. This can help our Divas with the effects of their monthly menstrual cycle.
Try this Peppermint Hot Chocolate recipe to feel the relaxing effects of mint during your period.
- 1 1/2 cups dairy-free milk
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 6 ounces dark chocolate, chopped
- 1 mint tea bag
- Sweetened whipped cream, for garnish
- Chocolate shavings, for garnish
- In a saucepan, combine milk, sugar, and salt and heat over medium-low heat.
- When the cream mixture just begins to steam, add the chopped chocolate, and stir, until melted.
- Stir in the peppermint oil.
- Divide the hot chocolate among mugs and top with whipped cream and chocolate shavings.
Have these recipes got your mouth watering yet?
Before you head to the store for the ingredients you need, remember that even though hot chocolate can be that soothing warm beverage that helps you relax when on your period, it is important to do everything in moderation.
Every Diva’s body is different and as such you can react differently to different ingredients, so test how these hot chocolate recipes feel for you and don’t hesitate to let us know about your experience in the comment section below!